A Made Up Meal
This was a recipe I did when I didn’t know what to cook and I wasn’t feeling very inspired. But don’t let that put you off – it came out really well – very tasty and low cost
I had a tin of kidney beans I was going to use for another recipe – and plenty of lentils. That is always a basis for a good meal. With an onion and a pepper I was ready to go – just need to decide on the flavourings
Lentils and beans plus a few basic ingredients plus some spices and a lovely, easy low cost meal is made!
Ras El Hanout
A month or so ago I bought a spice mix – ras el hanout because it sounded so good. I had used it in a soup or two but had plenty left and decided this was a good opportunity!
It is a special spice mix from Northern Africa and is used in tagines and Moroccan dishes. Its exact composition varies but it mostly ismade up of chilli powder, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, paprika, tumeric. If you don’t have it you can just make a small mix of these spices to make up a teaspoon. If you want to buy it you can get it from some major supermarkets and from Amazon – Moroccan Ras El Hanout tajine spice 100 grams tagine herbs mix 100g. If you do buy some, make sure you use it up in Moroccon style recipes or even in a dhaal type recipe or soups. It gives warm spicy kick to any meal.
This is a one pot meal that can be made in about half an hour. Serve with rice which you can cook along side or with nan bread or other flat bread.
The cost of the meal for four people is about £2 – £2.50 excluding spices – and full of nutition and flavour. Who says eating on a budget has to be dull??
Lentil And Beans With Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and chopped
- 250g / 8 oz red lentils
- 600ml stock
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1/4 teaspoon each of ginger, chilli, cinnamon and coriander
- 1 x 400g kidney beans, drained
– or –
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan
- Add the onion slices and cumin and cook for a few minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the chopped pepper, stir and cook for a 2 minutes
- Add the lentils and stock
- Add the ras el hanout or equivalent – quarter teaspoon each of ginger, chilli, cinnamon and coriander
- Add the kidney beans
- Cook for about 20 minutes or unti the lentils are soft
- Meanwhile cook some rice to accompany or prepare the nan bread
Do you have an easy, low cost recipe you would like to share? See Share a Recipe or send in your recipe via the Contact Form
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30