Classic Pie Recipe
Chicken, Bacon And Leek Pie is one of those classic meals that is really delicious you wonder if you could really make a good version yourself. Well you can – it really is very easy to make and can be economical too. Because it is a pie with plenty of filling ingredients you need only 2 breasts of chiken to serve 4 people and it will still be very meaty because you have good chunks of chicken – plus the bacon.
This classic pie recipe is really easy to make. Made with chicken breast it has plenty of meaty chunks but will not break the bank
I generally buy free range chickens as I hate the thought of how mass factory farmed chickens are treated, but becaus eI am only buying 2 pieces for 4 people it feel more affordable. And you absolutely notic ethe quality of the meat too – far more meaty. I have been reading the book Farmageddon: The True Cost of Cheap Meat
– and will do a review on it in due course – but it is confrming all my worst fears about meat – not only for the animals sake but for the environment and our human health.
Making The Pie
This is a one pot recipe plus a pie dish. The pie filling can all be done in one pot and the it its transfered into a pie dish with a pastry topping. I like puff pastry with this pie so I bought some ready made puff pastry sheets. I am afraid I have never yet attempted to make my own puff pastry – one day may be! Of course, if you wish you culd make some shortcrust pastry to go on top.
I served the pie with sweet potato wedges, sugar snap peas and carrots. I always like to get plenty of variety of veggies in with a pie. It is really good with plenty of vegetables!
Chicken, Bacon And Leek Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 free range chicken breasts
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 200g bacon lardons
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 x 375g sheet frozen puff pastry
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan
- Add the leek and chicken
- Stir until the chicken is white and the leeks are soft
- Add the bacon lardons
- Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Stir in the tablespoon of flour and coat the meat and vegetables
- Add the milk stirring all the time until the sauce thickens
- Add the tarragon
- Add a little more milk if more liquid is required and stir in well
- Preheat the oveb to 190 degrees c
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Spoon the mixture into a pie dish
- Cover with the puff pastry sheet, cutting off any excess with a knife
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30