Many people are now choosing a pescatarian lifestyle, where they eat a regular balanced diet, including fish, but not meat. Do you think something like this could appeal to you? Well, here are a couple of pescatarian recipes to try:-
Fish Soup – Paila Marina
This traditional Chilean seafood soup is usually served in a paila (earthenware bowl) and it is from this it gets its name. This is a flavourful stew perfect for a cold winter night.
- 1lb 8oz / 750g white fish (cod preferably)
- 1lb / 500g peeled prawns
- 8oz / 250g crab meat
- 4oz / 125g scallops
- 4oz /125g calamari
- 50ml olive oil
- 50g coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 large onion
- Chop the onion.
- Cut the fish into chunks
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Once warm, add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes or until they start to turn colour and soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for the same amount of time again.
- Turn down the heat and add the fish, wine, salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 5minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the prawns are bright pink.
- Add a little more coriander to the top before serving for added colour
There is nothing better than fresh crab and these cakes taste amazing on a bed of greens, with a homemade vinaigrette.
- 1lb / 500g fresh crab meat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the onions until soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and mix in all the other ingredients (including the onions).
- Use a large spoon to scoop the mixture out of the bowl and form into balls in your hands.
- Flatten each ball into a patty 1/2 an inch high.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used
- Leave them in the fridge for around half an hour.
- When chilled, cover the base of a frying pan with the oil and heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan
- Fry the crab cakes on both sides until golden brown and crispy about 5 minutes each side.
- Remove from the oil hot oil and place on kitchen roll before plating, to remove any excess oil.
- Best served on a sea of green vegetables with a vinaigrette drizzle.
Although it doesn’t involve meat, a pescatarian diet can be rather delicious! Try these recipes and let us know what you think.
These recipes were suggested by Just Ingredients – a company that bring quality ingredients straight to your door. Just Ingredients is a young and vibrant company that want to make cooking that much easier. So if you are looking for the finest herbs and spices check them out!