With cooler days an darker evenings what better way to warm up than some mulled wine with all those special spices? Prepare for the festive season by making your own mulled wine that brims with Christmas flavours. Mulled wine has been around since Roman times and there ar emany variations on the recipes. Start off with this one and add your own flourishes according to your taste. This recipe will put the shop-bought mix to shame.
Mulled wine is a traditional part of Christmes and if you have been out for a long frosty walk there is nothing better to warm your cockles!
Sit in your snuggliest chair on a cold wintery night and enjoy the taste of Christmas in a glass. JustIngredients have shared their recipe crammed full of traditional festive spices – as well as an ingredient that you might not expect to add to mulled wine: a vanilla pod! You can meke it without – but it doe smake it that extra special!
Take a look at how easy it is to make this essential Christmas tipple.
Mulled Wine Recipe
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 slices of oranges (with peel)
- 2 slices of lemons (with peel)
- 250ml water
- 4 heaped tablespoons brown sugar
- 750ml red wine
- shot brandy
- 2 star anise
- 1 vanilla pod
- Place all the dried spices and the orange and lemon slices into a piece of muslin and tie with a piece of string.
- Pour the water and sugar into a large pan along with the bagged spices and bring to the boil.
- Cook vigorously for 2-3 minutes until you can smell the aromatic scent of spices.
- Turn the heat right down and add the red wine and brandy.
- Add the star anise along with the vanilla pod and simmer on a very low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Alternatively, replace the wine and brandy with a fruit teabag to make a non-alcoholic version of this much loved Christmas drink.
Just Ingredients are really getting into the Christmas spirit this year and stock a wide variety of fantastic Christmas gifts, including this ready to make Mulled Wine Spice Kit bundle!