A Healthy Breakfast
Since the Healthy Breakfast Event I attended, I have been on the look out for really healthy wholefood breakfasts, that keep you full until lunch, so I was delighted when Simon sent me this recipe. Because groats are not always easily available, I would not normally include a recipe like this. However, your local health food store should stock them, and you can buy them online.
This recipe is so nutritious that I wanted to share it.
(makes one good breakfast)
Simon’s Raw Porridge
- 50g / 1.5oz Organic oat groats
- 20g / 1oz Organic raw (untoasted) buckwheat
- Handful selected organic nuts of your choice
- Small handful organic dried fruit (e.g. 2 or three dates)
- 1 organic Bramley apple
- Two tablespoons flax oil
- A little organic fruit juice
- Sprinkling milled seeds to garnish
- Measure out dry ingredients into a bowl
- Soak selected ingredients in filtered water at room temperature overnight
- By morning the soak water will be murky and should be rinsed until it comes clean
- Add drained oat mix to blender with the diced apple, oil and fruit juice
- Blend on the lowest setting using the tamper to mix in all ingredients – do not over process
- Serve and sprinkle with milled seeds to taste, eat and enjoy
This basic recipe can be varied in many ways, for example try adding some seeds such as pumpkin or sunflower, or try using different nut combinations. You can change the quantities of oats and buckwheat to suit your appetite. Using a bramley apple provides an interesting texture and its tartness helps to balance the sweetness of the fruit and juice.
See Breakfast Recipes for further healthy breakfast options.
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30