Everyone loves pancakes – and if you are wheat intolerant or a vegan you need an alternative – here are some suggestions…
Verity’s Plantain Pancakes
We use coconut oil to cook these and keep them small like scotch pancakes. Gluten, wheat, dairy, soya and nut free. And yummy, especially with maple syrup!
- 2 large green plantains
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- splash coconut milk
- Peel plantain and put pieces into blender
- Add all ingredients and mix until a smooth batter (adding coconut milk to thin a bit if needed).
Here is a recipe for vegans from Paul Harding
- 200g / 7oz flour (I use wholemeal and a little more water)
- 25g / 1oz baking powder
- 25g / 1oz sugar
- 100ml soya or oatmeal milk
- 250ml water
- Add dry ingredients to liquid a little at a time
- Whisk up to a smooth batter
- Pour a little into a medium hot frying pan.
- Eat lots with sugar and lemon
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30