Parsnip And Carrot Recipes
This carrot and parsnip soup helps to make the most of root vegetables – comforting, filling, nourishing and sweet. Root vegetables are wonderful to sustain you in the winter and very versatile and I love them.
If I am not making a Vegetable Casserole, roasting parsnips, or mashing swede, I am probably making soup. There are so many different ways of making soups with either carrots or parsnips, but this one brings them together – and uses up some curry paste too!
This carrot and parsnip soup will nourish and sustain you as well as help keep out the cold! Full of goodness and very delicious!
The warmth and spice from the curry and ginger adds an extra layer of feel good factor!
Spicy Carrot And Parsnip Soup
Root vegetables are so very good for us in the colder months. Carrots are full of the wonderful beta-carotene. Parsnips are actually relate dto carrots so it seems natural to cook them together. Full of vitamins and minerals as well as fibre they are good complement to carrots in nutrients as well as flavour.
I used a Balti curry paste I had in the fridge but you can use whatever paste you have. If you don’t have a paste to hand a good spoonful of curry powder can be used instead.
I added some root ginger to the soup at the begining so as to introduce a bit of a gingery edge to the soup. Again you don’t have to do that. I am just particularly fond of ginger and think that it goes really well with parsnip. It is also traditionally used as a medicine for the coughs and colds of the winter period.
Serve this soup with a swirl of yoghurt if you want the heats taken out of it a little. It could also be served with some Naan bread instead of crusty white or granary bread.
Curried Carrot And Parsnip Soup Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon groundnut or sunflower oil
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch root ginger, chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and slices
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 large tablespoon curry paste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and fry until soft
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a couple of minutes
- Add the chopped parsnip and carrot
- Stir and sweat the vegetables for a few minutes
- Add the vegetable stock
- Stir in the curry paste
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes
- If all the vegetables are soft, place in a liquidiser to make smooth
- Return to the pan and taste
- If liked, add a bit more curry paste
- Re heat and serve
- Add a swirl of yoghurt if liked