Marrow With Cheese And Tomatoes
With marrows in season now I am always on the look out for interesting ways to use them. One of my favourite recipes is stuffed marrow, but here is an easy, delicious marrow recipe that is wonderful with lots of cheese and tomatoes. Anne loves to cook easy and economical recipes and she requires her meals to be healthy too.
Anne is very much of the philosophy that cooking is more about using the ingredients you have and like and adjusting the quantities to taste, than having exact and precise measurements. This is very much my approach too which is why many of my recipes suggest alternatives and encourage you to make changes.
Anne recommends serving this dish with boiled potatoes, but you can also serve with pasta or rice.
I love to get new ideas and recipes, so do feel free to comment on any of the recipes, suggesting changes or new ways to cook the ingredients – or just send in your recipes using the contact page.
Marrow With Tomatoes Recipe
To serve 2-4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small marrow (or half a medium one)
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (or herbs of your choice)
- Handful grated cheese (cheddar, red leicester or similar)
- Wash marrow, cut in two length-ways and empty of seeds
- Chop the marrow into chunks
- Heat oil in a large thick bottomed pan
- Add the chopped marrow, stir for a minute
- Add the chopped onion to the pan
- Stir for 3 minutes
- Add sieved tomatoes
- Add the herbs and spices to taste (the idea is to make something italian/mediterranean tasting)
- Leave to simmer stirring regularly for about 40 minutes
- Just before serving, add grated cheese to taste
- Serve over boiled potatoes
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30