Meatballs – Beef Mince Recipe
Beef mince makes many low cost and delicious family meals. These meatballs are really simple to make with a few ingredients and you can add your favourite flavourings too making them more spicey or more herby! Served with a simple tomato sauce they make a filling and comforting supper. Simple enough for a midweek supper. The whole dish with the tomato sauce and pasta cost £5-6.
Beef mince is versatile for many different recipes. Meatballs are surprisingly easy to make and taste delicious. Ring the changes by using different herbs and spices
Beef mince is best purchased from a local butcher where they can tell you the exact source of the meat. With the recent horsemeat scandal, people are being a bit more careful was to where their meat comes from.
The scandal is also a good reason for making your own home made meatballs rather than buying them ready made. And of course you know exactly what is in them and you can control the level of salt. No added E colours or preservatives either!
Below is one of the Hairy Bikers talking about the horse meat scandal
Meatballs – Popular Everywhere!
There are many different styles of meatballs from many different countries. The recipes vary according to local ingredients and traditions. – and how they are cooked. It would appear that meatballs have been around a long time – possibly even dating back to Roman times. Meatballs have probably often been used as a way of making meat go further by combining it with other, lower cost ingredients such as breadcrumbs, oatmeal, rice or cheese and creating different flavours with herbs and spices. The combinations are endless.
Simple, Easy Meatball Recipe
These meatballs are baked in the oven. I prefer this since they need attention whilst in the oven. I prefer it to frying since there is no additional fat and there is less risk of them falling apart or losing shape. They are simpley flavoured with mixed herbs and garlic. You can alter the flavour by using your favourite spices, but these taste pretty good with minimum flavouring.
The sauce is a simple tomato, onion and pepper sauce with basil. I think it is the simplicity that makes this dish taste so good! Serve with pasta – I think spaghetti is best but any pasta shape will do.
Easy Meatballs With Tomato Sauce
- 500g / 1lb lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 egg, beaten
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 x 400g / 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 400g / 14oz pasta shapes / spaghetti
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Lightly grease a baking tray
- Place the meat, breadcrumbs, garlic, mixed herbs and tomato puree in a bowl
- Stir well and season with salt and pepper
- Add the beaten egg and stir well
- Use your hands to bring the mixture together
- Make about 16 small golf sized balls
- Arrange them on the baking tray
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes
- Meanwhile make the tomato sauce
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Add the onion and cook for a few minutes
- Add the pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and basil
- Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile cook the pasta
- Half fill a large saucepan with boiling water
- Add the spaghetti and gently push into the water as it softens
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until cooked to your liking
- Serve out the pasta
- Place the meatballs on top
- Pour the sauce over
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30