Ginger And Apple Spice Cake Recipe
Spice cake that is perfect for Autumn but great at any time of year really! It is very simple to make, uses seasonal apples and has that warming glow that you need as the days shorten and cool down. It is very unfussy – and yet delicious!
Ginger and Apple Cake is very easy to make and the spice gives you a lovely warm feeling to brighten up a dull day!
This is a recipe which requires minimum effort in stirring as most of the ingredients are melted first. So it really only takes five minutes to put together.
Try to use seasonal locally sourced apples where possible – especially if you make it in the Autumn. In fact if you are looking for ways to use up a glut of apples – this recipe is ideal!
I enjoy baking – but as with all my other cooking – I like to keep it simple and fun. I don’t like over complicated recipes and cooking that is too time consuming. This cake recipe is simple enough to cook with children. You can vary the spice content too – add nutmeg and cloves to vary the flavour.
Ginger And Apple Spice Cake
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100ml golden syrup
- 15ml black treacle
- 80g dark brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 60g root ginger
- 2 large apples
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- Seive the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the mixed spice and cinnamon and stir thoroughly. Set aside
- In a medium size saucepan add the syrup, treacle, sugar, butter, ginger and apple
- Heat gently to melt the sugar, butter and syrup
- Add to the flour and stir thoroughly
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl
- Add to the rest of the mix, stirring thoroughly
- Pour into the prepared tin
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean