Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipes Shared
It is always good to get new easy recipes from a reader who also loves simple cooking! Miv got in touch with me as not only is she a lover of easy dessert recipes but she is also a fellow B&B owner so we connected on two levels.
This chocolate dessert recipe has only 3 ingredients – and it really is only 3. You can make it in 5 minutes and then it will need a little cooling time in the fridge (but you can still lick the spoon straight away to -ahem- just check that it tastes good!)
Miv recommends that you melt the chocolate in the microwave oven. I had not done that before so did my usual way of melting – in a pyrex dish over the top of a pan of boiling water on the hob. But you can do it either way – whichever suits you best. The important thing is not let the chocolate get too hot. I found this useful article on different methods of melting chocolate
A Mousse For A Dinner Party
Although this chocolate dessert recipe is really simple to make I like that it can be good enough for a dinner party. It can be made in advance – even a day or two before. You can put it in fancy bowls and add a whirl of cream, chocolate, orange or anything depending on where your creative ideas take you! And make it with orange liqueur instead of orange juice to add a further air of sophistication.
I am luck to have some pearlised glass dessert bowls that belonged to my Mother and they are wonderful for serving small rich desserts in. You can buy many pretty glass dessert bowls without spending a great deal
Cooking For A Busy Life
Having a library simple recipes that you can cook in just a few minutes is wonderful when so many people have busy lives – and yet they still want to be eat delicious food without always resorting to ready made meals. Miv runs a Bed and Breakfast in Buckinghamshire and will be very busy. There is more to running a B&B than many people realise. I run The Ridings B&B and holiday cottages in The Trossachs, Scotland so I know well – especially in the busy season. It is however a delight to meet new people all the time and from all over the world as well as people simply escaping the city not far away in Scotland
Tips For Successful Chocolate Mousse Dessert
- Melt chocolate gently
- Allow to cool before adding egg yolks
- Whisk egg whites in a very clean glass bowl using an electic whisk
- Let it cool thoroughly in a fridge before serving
- 200g plain chocolate (75% cocoa)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 orange zest and juice
- Break chocolate into squares, add 1 Tbs water (juice of the orange can be used if liked in place of water), and melt in microwave until runny, stirring every 20 secs.
- Add the orange zest and leave to cool.
- Whip egg whites until stiff.
- Whisk egg yolks to blend, and add to the cooled melted chocolate.
- Fold the whipped whites into the chocolate mixture with a metal spoon until well blended.
- Pour into small ramekins or glasses and chill until required.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate or chocolate curls
- Will keep in fridge for a week.(not a chance!)
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
(Orange liqueur can be used instead of water or juice if it is for a smart dinner)