Homemade Granola Breakfast Cereal
Cereal for breakfast is so easy to do – just pour into your bowl and add some milk – or may be yoghurt. Trouble is, many cereals are over processed with too much sugar. they can be quite expensive too. Have you ever thought about making your own breakfast cereal? You know exactly what is in it and you can adjust the ingredients to suit your own tastes
If you love Granola type cereals you will be delighted to see how easy it is to make your own. You can make the basic granola and then serve with your favourite fruit in season – or add some more dried fruits.
This recipe is for about 10 servings – just adjust the quantity proportionately to make more. 17p-20p a bowl plus milk. Cheaper than most bought – and you have the fruit and nuts that you like!
- 1 banana
- 110g /4 oz dates
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 340g/12oz porridge oats
- 110g/4oz dried fruit
- 110g/4oz chopped nuts (hazelnut, pecan, almonds) – your choice.
- Preheat oven to 120C
- Put the banana, dates, sugar and water in a food processor and puree
- Stir in cinnamon and oats
- Spread the mixture out on large baking trays and bake in the oven for 60 to 90 minutes. The longer you bake, the crunchier it is!
- Allow to cool
- Add fruit and nuts as desired
- Serve with milk or yoghurt
Keep in an air tight container