There are many recipes for lentil soup. This recipe is my favourite and it uses vegetables that you will easily have to hand. It is really easy to make, low cost and delicious! You can make your own variations for example make it more spicy perhaps with a bit of chilli powder.
Want a lunch that is delicious, easy to make, filling highly nutritious and low calorie? Try lentil soup – simply good food
Making soup at home is a great way to get plenty of vegetables in your diet in the most delicious way.
It is an excellent way to use up any leftover vegetables, or produce that is looking a bit too tired for the dinner table
Lentil Soup – Warming, Filling, Nutritious
This is a warming, filling soup for the colder winter months. It makes a great lunch for anyone watching their calories too and it is full of cholesterol lowering fibre.
Double up the quantities to make some for another day. Put it in a thermos flask and take it for a lunch when you are out or at the office. Much less cost than any takeaway soup and full of vitamins.
From Store Cupboard Essentials
Red lentils are an idea staple in the cupboard. Low fat and high nutrition the can be used for a whole range of meals. This soup costs less than £1 to make for 4 generous servings. It is made with vegetable staples carrot, onion and celery and flavoured with tomato purée so if you keep a basic store cupboard, you will almost always have the ingredients.
More Lentil Recipes
If you would like more lentil recipes, you may be interested in 10 Easy And Low Cost Lentil Recipes
Lentil Soup In the Slow Cooker
This is an ideal recipe to put in the slow cooker. Just put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and stir. Cook on high for an hour and then on low for at least 3 hours.
Optimum 9400 Blender
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 150g / 5oz red lentils
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil
- Add the onion and sweat for a few minutes
- Add the cumin seeds and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the garlic, celery and carrots
- Sweat for a couple of minutes
- Add the stock
- Stir in the tomato purée and coriander
- Add the lentils
- Stir, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 30 minutes
- Place in a blender to create a smooth soup
- Re heat and season with salt and black pepper to taste
- Serve with some crusty bread
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30