Carrots And Sweet Potatoes
This is a fabulous recipe for using up a glut of carrots and sweet potatoes. The soup came about because the last time I wanted one sweet potato I had to buy a whole bag as the supermarket had sold out of loose ones. I also had a couple of carrots that had seen better days and needed using up. Good things can come from needing to use up some food in your cupboard!
Warming and nutritious soup that tastes really good. Flavoured with cumin and coriander with a small chilli kick. Great with crusty bread
I really quite enjoy thinking up ways to use up vegetables, whether for a dinner or lunch. Soup is often a tasty solution and you can be as creative and experimental as you like.
Just use a recipe as an idea, a starting point, and add your own ideas and flavours. There are no rules when it comes to making soup.
Spicy And Sweet
The colours of carrot and sweet potato were bound to make an attractive look and with a swirl of cumin, coriander, tomato and a small hint of chilli, another delightful soup was born. It is sweet but the chilli certainly lends a little kick to the soup. Of course you could leave out the chilli if you prefer.
Sweet potatoes are not native to the UK but they are always available in supermarkets and greengrocers. Most sweet potatoes sold here come from the USA, Central America or even China. Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious with lots of Vitamin A and beta carotene – and so are carrots. They are also really easy to peel and cook. Lower carbohydrate content than regular potatoes too!
Sometimes a sweet potato just makes a lovely change and it goes so well with winter vegetables such as squash, carrots, parsnip and swede all of which I get from a very local supplier.
Soup For Lunch
This soup would be ideal to put in a thermos flask to take to work or school. It is so warming and full of nutrition it would really set you up for the afternoon!
It would also serve well if you have friends coming round for an informal lunch. Delightful with a good crusty loaf of bread and may be a little cheese.
The total cost for this soup is well under £1 for four servings too!
Sweet Potato And Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and cumin seeds and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is soft
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and sweat for a few minutes
- Add the coriander, turmeric and chilli powder and stir
- Add the stock and tomato puree
- Bring to the boil
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are soft
- Put into a liquidizer and pulse until smooth
- Return to the pan and reheat
- Season to taste
- Serve immediately
Love soup and love these recipes.
Thank you! 🙂
Thank you, frugal queen. I hope you enjoy them 🙂
frugal queen says
I love your recipes and have filed them to cook at home, xxx