Tomato And Mozzarella Vegetarian Pasta Recipe
This is one of those vegetarian pasta dishes that tastes so good it seems wrong that it is so easy! It is made from really simple ingredients that just go together beautifully and deliciously!
Because it is good to roast the tomatoes first and then steep all the ingredients together for a couple of hours, it is not a quick dish – but those two stages take little preparation and then can be left alone. The only real cooking time requiring attention is the 10-12 minutes for the pasta. If this a supper dish for family or friends you can get everything ready before they arrive!
This pasta dish with roasted tomatoes and mozzarella is an every day supper dish that tastes really special! Easy to make, low cost and delicious!
Cheese, Tomatoes And Basil
Cheese, tomatoes and basil just go together. Fresh basil leaves are best if you grow your own basil or feel like splashing out and buying fresh leaves but dried basil is also still good and is less expensive than fresh.
Do use the tastiest tomatoes you can find.
Cherry tomatoes on the vine or plum tomatoes are the best. Buy local ones when tomatoes are in season – and organic when you can. You may find tomatoes lower cost at the Farmers market or local independent greengrocers than at the supermarket. The long slow roast does bring out the best flavour in the tomatoes.
NB You could make this dish with good Italian tinned plum tomatoes which you can roast too. Drain off the juice and halve to roast.
Mozzarella is an Italian cheese that was traditionally made from water buffalo milk but it is often now made from cows milk as it is much less costly and cows are more available!. It is a very mild cheese with a slightly rubbery texture that goes quite stringy and elastic as it melts. It is often used on pizzas and in pasta dishes
Curly Kale (Optional Extra)
When kale is in season it is good to add to a pasta dish such as this although it is entirely optional. It add ssome flavour, and some added goodness to the dish. It is a good way to get children to eat some keale too, if they won’t eat it as a side vegetable (this goes for adults too!)
Pasta With Tomato And Mozzarella
- 1kg /2lb fresh cherry tomatoes
- 125g /4oz mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 15-20 fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400g / 14oz pasta shapes
- 50g-100g / 2oz-3oz curly kale, chopped(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees C
- Chop the tomatoes in two
- On a baking tray place the halves skin down
- Drizzle with half the olive oil
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes
- Place in a bowl
- Add the basil, oregano, garlic, capers and mozzarella and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Stir well and leave for up to 3 hours
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water
- Meanwhile,if adding kale, heat a little butter in a frying pan
- Stir fry the kale, until it is wilted and soft
- Drain, the pasta when cooked
- Stir the tomato and mozzarella sauce into the pasta and stir in the cooked kale
- Serve with a green salad and some garlic bread
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30