Broad Bean Recipes
The sumer time brings many lovely vegetables including broad beans and courgettes. There are plenty of courgette recipes but rather fewer broad bean recipes. One of my favourite is Broad Bean Risotto but this pasta recipe is really delicious and you can use the vegetables you have available. It is also ready in less than 15 minutes so makes an ideal midweek supper for a busy family especially if you want to spend time outside rather than in the kitchen!
Summer is a time of prolific fresh vegetables full of flavour. This pasta recipe is easy, low cost and brings out the tasty goodness – ideal for a mideweek supper
Perhaps broad beans is not the first vegetable you think of when you are making a pasta dish but this mix of vegetables is really tasty, especially with the touch of chilli and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. And if you are not a great fan of broad beans, this recipe may well convert you.
If you are familiar with bullet like broad beans and wonder why anyone ever buys them, get some broad beans from a local organic grower in season (June and July) and you will really see the difference (or grow them yourself!) Freshly picked broad beans are a delight! They are good for you too!
To Peel Or Not To Peel
Sometimes I read recipes where you are advised to remove the outer skin on each bean. This is too laborious for me (just as I never skin tomatoes or peppers either) and I have not yet found it necessary. Obviously it is up to you if you prefer to do this but I am not alone in disagreeing with it see – WAIT! STOP! DON’T PEEL THOSE FAVA BEANS!
Courgettes can be very plentiful in the summer time and it can be hard to find easy recipes. They are great in almost any stew and nice on their own with a cheese sauce or as an addition to Cauliflower Cheese. They are a general all rounder in terms of nutrition – not a super food but a great source of fibre and low calorie too.
I know some people who grow courgettes, easily end up with a surplus!
I used wheat free penne pasta when I cooked this but you can chose any pasta you like – wheat based, wholemeal or wheat free. I like penne shape but this would also be really good with spaghetti or tagiatelle. You can make the vegetable mix sauce in the time it takes to boil the pasta
Summer Vegetable Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium courgette, sliced
- handful fresh basil leaves ( or 1 teaspoonful of dried basil leaves)
- 1 splash chilli sauce
- 5-6 broad bean pods podded
- 200g pasta
- 30g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Put the pasta in a large sauce pan and bring to the boil
- Simmer according to pack instructions
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large frying pan
- Add the onion and fry for a 3-4 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and stir
- Add the garlic and courgettes
- Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes
- Meanwhile place the broad beans in a sauce pan
- Cover with boiling water and bring back to the boil
- Simmer for a minute
- Drain and add to the other vegetables
- Add in the chilli sauce and stir
- Drain the pasta
- Serve the vegetables on a bed of pasta
- Sprinkle with cheese
If you like this recipe, you may want to subscribe to Penny’s Recipe’s newsletter and get the free Meal Plan – 7 family meals for under £30