This is a vegetarian stew with a variety of vegetables and herbs, cooked in stock and creme fraiche and a poached egg on top. It is a recipe that you can adapt to seasonal vegetables and what you have in your cupboards. You can use broccoli, potato, carrots, frozen peas and chick peas.I do however always add fennel when I can get it because I love the flavour. But you can use cauliflower, butternut squash, sweet potato – any leftover vegetables. It can be an alternative to bubble and squeak after Christmas dinner!
This vegetarian stew was inspired and adapted from a meal in a restaurant. It has now become a family favourite!
Fennel For Flavour
I love the mild aniseed flavour of fennel. It is subtle and sweet and never overwhelms. Fennel is a very adaptable vegetable and has been included in several recipes on this website such as Onion And Fennel Tarte Tatin. It is this flavour that blends so well with the other vegetables.
I find the easiest way to poach eggs is with the small egg poachers you can buy. Just grease lightly with butter, crack an egg in and then place in a saucepan with an inch of water. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes until they are done how you like them.
The stewing pan that I like best is in the Raymond Blanc range of pans. Best pans I ever bought!
Creamy Vegetable Stew
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 1 stick celery chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb sliced
- 1 medium potato peeled and cubed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 400 can chickpeas drained
- Handful frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 150ml creme fraiche
- 1/2 head broccoli
- 4< eggs
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan heat the oil
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, celery and fennel and cook for a little longer
- Add the carrots and squash
- Sweat for a few minutes, stirring regularly
- Add stock and bring to the boil
- Add the herbs and the rest of the vegetables
- Simmer on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked
- Turn down low
- Poach 4 eggs
- When the eggs are done, stir the creme fraiche into the vegetable mix.
- Serve immediately in bowls with an egg on top of each serving
Leave A Review Or Comment