This is a soup to that will feel great of you are warming up from the cold! The spiciness warms you up from the inside and the sweet flavour makes you glow. And it feels full of nourishment too!
This soup combines sweet potato and carrot – they just seem made for each other! It’s easy to prepare with just a bit of peeling and chopping and everything goes in one pan.
Spicy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup is full of flavour and really warms you up from the inside
This soup can be made with a Soup Maker (it is the lazy way to make soup!) but you can make it in a pan and then whizz in a blender too.
The only spices you will need are cumin seeds, smoked paprika and chilli flakes (or powder). You can alternatively use a hot smoked paprika and don’t add the chilli. Of course any hot sauce or spicy mix that you like would do to add to the soup – just use your favourite.
Remember to add a little at a time to get the right level of heat for you – you can always add more but you can’t take it out!
A Word On Stock
The stock you use is up to you. You make have your favourite – or even a home made stock. I tend to use Swiss Boullion Powder. You can decide on how much you use as it comes in a large tub of powder – and they do some different versions (vegan, reduced salt). It is available in most supermarkets and health food shops
Fancy a different carrot soup? Try this Curried Carrot And Parsnip Soup
Spicy Carrot And Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion until soft
- Add the cumin seeds and crushed garlic and cook for a further minute or two
- Add the sweet potato and carrot and cook stirring for a minute
- Pour in the stock, stirring all the time
- Add the chilli and smoked paprika
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft
- Blend until smooth
- Adjust seasoning as necessary
- Serve with your favourite bread