Chocolate Fudge Cake
This Chocolate Fudge Cake was part of a bake off at Payplan. Another cake in this competition was the Raspberry and Amaretti cake so you can try that one as well! I might add these cakes were made a long time before the current social distancing rules – when office life could involve getting together to share a cake!
Becky’s Chocolate Fudge Cake looks amazing!
Cakes – Made For Sharing!
And the whole office will have benefited from this competition. Sharing food is amazing for bringing people together and it is really good baking and cooking, when you know people are going to enjoy the result. Baking your own cake is more economical than a shop bought cake, and you know exactly what is going into the cake.
Perhaps in this Lockdown time people are having virtual Bake Off competitions. do let me know if you are!!
Becky’s Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 175g / 6oz unsalted butter
- 175g / 6oz sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 40g / 1.5oz ground almonds
- 175g / 6oz self-raising flour
- 40g/ 1.5oz cocoa powder
- 225g / 8oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 55g / 2oz muscovado sugar
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla essence
For The Icing
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Grease a deep cake tin
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat in thoroughly
- Add the golden syrup
- Add the ground almonds
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder
- Ensure all ingredients are completely combined
- Divide between the two tins
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer or sharp knife comes out cleanly
- Leave to cool and then turn out on a wire rack to cool completely
- Melt the chocolate pieces in a bowl over some hot water
- Combine with the sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla extract to form a paste
- Ensure the cake is completely cooled
- Spread the mix evenly over the cake
- Decorate as desired with chocolate buttons
Make the icing
Taste – 7.1
Presentation – 7.5
Difficulty – 6.7
Christine Martin says
Is there sugar omitted in the icing recipe??It mentions sugar but it isn’t listed in the icing recipe??
Thank you so much for pointing that out! There should be 55g muscovado sugar which has now been added. I hope you make the cake and enjoy it!