Pasta Sauce – Easy Supper
Pasta sauce recipes are perfect for times when you just want something that is tasty, quick and easy to cook. I recently cooked this recipe when I had been out for a long walk on a sunny, hot afternoon. I had planned on stuffed peppers for the evening meal but I was hot and tired when I got in – and hungry.
After a reviving cup of tea, I decided I was going to take the easy route and do pasta with vegetables in a tomato based sauce. It is always a meal I enjoy, with a sprinkling of cheese.
Better Than Shop Bought
There are now numerous pasta sauces in jars that you can buy, of varying quality and taste and in the past I have had them in the cupboard as a standby meal to heat and throw over pasta. Some of the good ones are quite expensive now, compared with the cost of making your own. Rarely now would I buy one, as they are so easy and inexpensive to make at home. As always with home made, you can make it just how you like it, with the right amount of herbs and flavourings.
When I decided to make this sauce, I knew I had a carton of chopped tomatoes and some peppers as well as an onion and some garlic (from the garden). So the recipe was laid before me.
You can adapt a tomato sauce recipe according to what you have, and what you like. Mushrooms, broccoli, chick peas, courgettes and peas are all potential ingredients. Just find what you have in your cupboards. Olives always make a good addition too.
Flavour the sauce with your favourite herbs – Basil, oregano or just some dried mixed herbs. Add some chilli for a bit of spice!
Easy Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 200 g pasta shapes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 1 pepper green or red chopped and de-seeded
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 10 olives chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 fresh basil leaves torn
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil
- Fry the onion for a few minutes until soft
- Add the pepper and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano and basil
- Stir in the olives
- Cook on a low heat while you prepare the pasta
- Place the pasta in a large saucepan and cover with boiling water
- Stir, bring back to the boil and simmer for 12-15 minutes
- Season to taste with black pepper
- Serve by placing the pasta on a plate and spooning over the sauce
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan or cheddar cheese
It really is unbelievably good!