Reader’s Lentil Recipe
I may have said before that I love getting recipes in from readers. In this case Sue had tried my Lentil Bake recipe . She enjoyed it but wanted to share her own recipe too. I was delighted to receive a recipe that is along the same lines, but with plenty of variation. It’s good to get new ideas!
Lentil Bake WIth A Difference
It is quite different as it is made with green lentils, not red and contains mushrooms and is flavoured with rosemary – so it has quite a different texture and taste altogether! It is very easy to make and of course is low cost and nutritious.
I have just been given a link to your website and am very much enjoying exploring it. It was suggested I try your delicious lentil bake, and it really is excellent. I have another lentil bake recipe and I honestly don’t know where it came from but it works pretty well and is cheap and easy.
Sue’s Lentil Bake
- 250g / 8oz green lentils
- 250g / 8oz chestnut mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 x 400ml can / carton chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 heaped tsp bouillon powder
- 2 heaped tablespoons fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 60g / 2oz cheese, grated (Use regular, vegetarian or a vegan substitute)
- Cook the lentils in plenty of boiling water for 20 minutes or until just tender then drain.
- Meanwhile soften onion in a large frying pan
- When soft, add garlic and rosemary
- Stir for a couple of minutes then add mushrooms.
- Cook stirring occasionally until most of liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, puree and bouillon powder
- Simmer until liquid is gone, then stir in lentils
- Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish
- Top with breadcrumbs and cheese
- Place under a preheated grill until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Sue comments – The rosemary in this dish is quite a revelation as before I never really knew what to use it for.