Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Most people love Cauliflower Cheese. In fact I would not be surprised if it is one of the most popular ways to cook cauliflower. It is warming, comforting and nutritious. So the idea of a cauliflower and cheese soup, was intriguing and delightful to me. It offers all the flavour of the main dish, in a cup or a bowl. It makes a lovely, sustaining lunch. Definitely one to put in your thermos to take to the office, a warming, sustaining break from studies or a lovely soup to share with friends.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup is a delicious liquid version of the classic dish. All of the flavour and comfort but a bit lower in calories and fat
This soup works, as many soup recipes do, as a recipe for beginners as it is so easy and quick to do and creates wonderful flavours and is very nourishing.
Cauliflowers are available pretty much all year round. If you can, do buy them from a local supplier either from the Farmers Market, local green grocer or farm shop as they will be fresher and have travelled far fewer miles than from the supermarket. You will also be supporting the local economy.
Recipe For Cauliflower Cheese Soup
The ingredients for this recipe can be change dto suit your tastes and what you have in the cupboard. I add a carrot for sweetness and some added nourishment. I also add a potato for thickness and texture. But you can omit these last two if you wish.
The addition of a spoonful of mustard is what makes this soup special, so do not miss that out. I like mustard added to both Cauliflower Cheese and Macaroni Cheese too. Use either whole grain, Dijon or English Mustard. Around a teaspoonful is about right but I often add a bit more as I like the flavour. Do use a mature cheddar cheese too because the stronger flavour means you can use a little less.
Chunky Soup Or Smooth Soup
You can make this soup chunky or smooth depending on your preference. I like it a little chunky. You can either retain some of the vegetables before you put it in the processor and then add them back to the smooth soup. Or go very gently with your processor so it doesn’t liquidise all the soup. The choice is entirely yours!
Check out Cauliflower recipes for lots more ideas on how to cook cauliflowers. There is more to the cauliflower than Cauliflower Cheese!
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 medium cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 medium potato peeled and chopped small
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard English, Dijon or wholegrain
- 1 sprinkling freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until soft
- Add the carrot and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes
- Add the cauliflower
- Add the stock and milk
- Bring to the boil
- Turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft
- Place in a liquidizer or use a hand blender to make the soup smooth
- Return to the pan and reheat
- Add the mustard and stir
- Remove from heat
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir
- Serve with good crusty bread