How To Cook Spring Greens
Spring Greens came in my vegetable box this week – something I have never bought or cooked before. Spring greens are young spring cabbages – light and leafy with no heart but lots of lovely nutrition and flavour – as I discovered!
This is an easy and delicious way to use this nutritional, seasonal vegetable in a way that all will love. Great for a light lunch, or a starter for a dinner party
You can of course lightly boil or steam spring greens or add shredded leaves to a stew at the end of cooking time or in a stir fry.
But I as it happened I was not cooking a meal for a couple of days where I could use them – and spring greens need to be cooked within a day or two after picking as they wilt and yellow quite quickly if left.
Fresh, Green Soup
I also had some broccoli that needed using up so I decided to make some Spring Greens and Broccoli Soup. It is really very easy to make and very nutritious. It tasted so lovely. There is none of the bitterness that you can get from greens, it is delicious, being sweet and fresh.
The wonderful thing about soup is that you get all the nutrition from the vegetables as you sue the liquid they are boiled in. In spite of eating this soup in the summer months, it fits because of its fresh green colour and its light summery taste. Serve with some lovely crusty bread for a lunch or light supper – or as a starter for a summer dinner party.
Spring Greens Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped (stalks included)
- 4-5 leaves spring greens, leaves torn
- 30g / 1 oz butter
- good pinch freshly ground pepper
- 700ml vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan
- Add the onion and fry for a a few minutes
- Add the celery and stir and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Add the broccoli and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the butter and allow to melt, stirring
- Add the spring greens and cook until wilted
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft
- Whizz in a blender until all liquid
- Return to pan to reheat
- Serve with crusty bread