Banana Date And Walnut Cake
Banana cake is wonderful and a great way to use up any over ripe bananas that no one wants to eat. However this Banana date and walnut cake is definitely the luxury end of banana cake! It is a great sweet treat for a packed lunch or for teatime with friends.
This all in one banana cake certainly tastes quite luxurious! Delicious eaten when still warm. Perfect as a treat in your packed lunch!
If you are looking for just a basic cake then try Banana Loaf recipe
Banana All In One Cake
This Banana Cake Recipes is really easy. It is an all in one cake where you just put all the ingredients into a bowl (except the date and walnuts) and mix them together. Incredibly easy if you have a food processor, but pretty easy to do by hand with a wooden spoon too! Just stir in the date and walnuts at the end.
It is a cake with plenty of nutrition. I made it with wholemeal self-raising flour. This makes it robust, and of course adds fibre. It is a very moist cake too from the bananas. It is sweetened with sugar and with honey.
I used honey in the cake for flavour. Although honey may be marginally better for you, another real advantage of it to me is that if you buy local honey you are using a local product and supporting the local economy.
There are many influences in us making the food choices that we do and for me local and ethical are part of that decision too.
More Cake Recipes
Banana Date And Walnut Cake
- 200g / 7oz self raising flour (wholemeal if you like)
- 150g / 5oz butter, softened
- 80g / 3oz soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 80g / 2.5oz chopped dates
- 40g chopped walnuts
- Mash the bananas to a pulp with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin
- Take a large mixing bowl and put in all the ingredients except the dates and walnuts
- Mix until thoroughly combined
- Stir in the dates and walnuts
- Place the cake mix in the loaf tin
- Bake in the oven for about 70 minutes
- Check to see if done by placing a sharp knife in the middle. If it comes out clean, it is done, otherwise give it a few minutes and try again
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool
- Delicious while still warm!
Been making this Recipe for a while now without thanking you. a big THANK you Penny. this is my favourite Banana Recipe. LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Xx
I am not a baker but this recipe is so simple, my family love this cake and I feel proud that I’ve baked it.
Well you are a baker now! Your family seem to think so if they loved the cake! Thank you, too for letting me know. It’s lovely to hear from people who use my recipes!
Ingrid oneill says
Your recipes are real and I have tried many including this week the date and walnut loaf. Delicious! I look forward to your postings Penny.