Classic Pie Recipe
Chicken, Bacon And Leek Pie is one of those classic meals that is really delicious you wonder if you could really make a good version yourself. Well you can – it really is very easy to make and can be economical too. Because it is a pie with plenty of filling ingredients you need only 2 breasts of chicken to serve 4 people and it will still be very meaty because you have good chunks of chicken – plus the bacon.
This classic pie recipe is really easy to make. Made with chicken breast it has plenty of meaty chunks but will not break the bank
I generally buy free range chickens as I hate the thought of how mass factory farmed chickens are treated, but because I am only buying 2 pieces for 4 people it feel more affordable. And you absolutely notice the quality of the meat too. I have been reading the book Farmageddon: The True Cost of Cheap Meat
– and will do a review on it in due course – but it is confirming all my worst fears about meat – not only for the animals sake but for the environment and our human health.
Making The Pie
This is a one pot recipe plus a pie dish. The pie filling can all be done in one pot and then it is transferred into a pie dish with a pastry topping. I like puff pastry with this pie so I bought some ready made puff pastry sheets. I am afraid I have never yet attempted to make my own puff pastry – one day may be! Of course, if you wish you could make some shortcrust pastry to go on top.
I served the pie with sweet potato wedges, sugar snap peas and carrots. I always like to get plenty of variety of veggies in with a pie. It is really good with plenty of vegetables!
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken, Bacon And Leek Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 free range chicken breasts
- 1 large leek chopped
- 200 g bacon lardons
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 x 375g sheet frozen puff pastry
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan
- Add the leek and chicken
- Stir until the chicken is white and the leeks are soft
- Add the bacon lardons
- Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Stir in the tablespoon of flour and coat the meat and vegetables
- Add the milk stirring all the time until the sauce thickens
- Add the tarragon
- Add a little more milk if more liquid is required and stir in well
- Preheat the oveb to 190 degrees c
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Spoon the mixture into a pie dish
- Cover with the puff pastry sheet, cutting off any excess with a knife
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden
This was so so yummy and relatively easy to make. I think it will definitely become a staple meal for us when we have a bit of extra time in the evenings!
At last! A simple recipe with simple instructions. Perfect!